A blog to keep current on MPIRG'S fight for social and environmental justice.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I Live Here, I Study Here, I Vote Here

There are only fourteen days left until the big election.  Although there have already been immense efforts towards mobilizing our peers to vote no on the Marriage Amendment and Voter ID, there is still work to be done.  No one wants to wake up November 7th and feel like they could have done more to help educate and encourage fellow students to vote. 

Originally from South Dakota, I came to Minnesota to further my education.  One of the reasons I chose Minnesota was because it was known to be a progressive state, offering great diversity.  Throughout my college career, I started getting more and more into Minnesota politics.  I familiarized myself with the people who were representing my district, in addition to other legislators. 

When it came time for me to decide whether or not I wanted to cast an absentee ballot this year, I didn’t want to because it would force me to vote for South Dakota’s legislature instead of my legislature here in Minnesota. I live here, I go to school here, and I work here. I want to vote in the state I consider my home.  If Voter ID passes, a lot of students would be forced to either vote absentee or get a Minnesota drivers license.  This creates unnecessary barriers and expenses. Don’t you want to be able to vote for the people who will represent you for the next few years, where you are currently living? I know I do. 

Voter ID disables our voices as students, and as students we are the future.  We need our voices heard in the legislature and casting a ballot enables that.  I’m sure all of you have your own personal stories of why you don’t want Voter ID and the Marriage Amendment to pass.  I encourage you to re-think of those reasons and let them be motivation for continuing to educate and mobilize our peers in the next fourteen days. 

Please click here to get involved with MPIRG and volunteer to phone bank. 

Elizabeth Hoss, UMTC MPIRG Election Intern

Pictured: Elizabeth phone banking to get out the vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment